The Mayor's Court serves as a local judicial forum to rule on misdemeanor cases alleged to be in violation of the Village's Codified Ordinances. The Court hears misdemeanor offenses with the exception of:
- Domestic violence cases.
- Second offense driving under DUI suspensions or financial responsibility (FRA) suspensions
- Second offense driving under the influence (DUI)
If your violation is a payable violation, you may waive your right to appear in Mayor's Court and plead guilty to the violation by signing the back of the ticket and enclosing a payment of the predetermined amount.
If you have a question whether or not the violation with which you are charged is a payable violation, contact Kathy Hixon, Mayor's Court Clerk.
You can pay your violation with the following methods:
- Through the mail. No cash accepted through the mail.
- At the Clerk's office
- Via Official Payments and selecting court payment (there is a $3.95 charge on top of your payment)
- At the 24-hour wooden drop box located on our front porch. No cash or credit card payments are accepted in the drop box.
Personal checks and money orders are accepted and should be made payable to: Village of Sunbury.
Proof of Insurance & Financial Responsibility
State of Ohio law requires that everyone must provide proof of insurance when requested by a law enforcement officer.
If you did not provide proof of insurance to the law enforcement officer at the time of your offense, you must bring proof of insurance for the date of your offense to your court appearance or enclose proof with your payment.
Proof of insurance is required on the vehicle that you were driving on the date and time you were cited. Failure to provide proof of insurance will result in the suspension of your driving rights for a period of not less than 90 days through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.