News Flash

Home

Posted on: June 1, 2018

Town Hall Renovation

An outside view of town hall with a statue of a man on a horse and grounds

This year the Town Hall will be given a face lift! The interior will be painted, have new flooring installed, new lighting, renovated bathrooms, and so much more.  The building, built in 1868, was the dream of Colonel Granville Adolphus Frambes for the purpose of a centralized school in the area. It was christened the “Sunbury Institute” with the building’s main entrance through the west façade, with classrooms on the ground floor and a theater of performances and meetings on the second floor.  The third floor was owned by the Masonic Lodge and used as a meeting hall. Although it was only used as a school for 3 years, it has a vibrant timeline:

1871-1881:  After the school went bankrupt, the building was opened for public meetings. A kitchen was added to the northwest corner of the second floor to expand the use of the building.

1881:  The fire department used the large arched entry for the fire engine door and the village Marshall held space there and two caged cells where added to the basement area.

1954:  The ground floor was remodeled for use as the public library. The jail cells were removed and basement bathrooms were added in their place.

1960:  Interior stairs were added from the ground floor on the east end of the building to allow the library to take over the second floor and eventually the third.

1965: In preparation for the Village’s 150 year anniversary, the exterior of the building was sandblasted, pointed and sealed.

1966:  The Farmer’s Bank moved into the building while their new building was under construction. They moved a vault into the middle room on the ground floor and made a window on the north façade into a doorway to operate their business out of.

1982: The building underwent major renovations due to extreme settling. Hardwood floors were replaced with carpet, new electrical and plumbing lines were run and the foundation structure was reinforced.

1994-2002: During this time period, the library moved out of the Town Hall and the Village once again restructured the use of the building. The basement bathrooms were closed off, the kitchen was added on the first floor and an elevator was installed.                       

Now, 16 years later, it’s time to freshen up!  One of the first things already done is repairing the plaster in the vestibule area. It already looks better! 

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Home

Sunbury Industrial Park Sign with Business Listings

Zoning Information

Posted on: November 22, 2016
Flags 1

Charter Commission Information

Posted on: June 4, 2018